1961 - ?

In 1958, Gainsborough’s House Society was formed to purchase the house and establish it as a centre for Thomas Gainsborough. The Museum opened to the public in 1961 and has remained open for over 50 years. The beautiful historic garden at the heart of Gainsborough’s House is maintained by a devoted body of volunteers. This museum and art gallery shows a large collection of his paintings, drawings and prints as well as temporary exhibitions. Works by other artists in the house include Hubert-François Gravelot, Francis Hayman, Gainsborough Dupont and others. It also has paintings and drawings that relate to the building or to Sudbury by artists such as John Theodore Heins and John Constable and there is an extensive collection of work by Henry William Bunbury. Artists who have exhibited there include Ruth Collet, John Arthur Dodgson, Patrick George, Maggi Hambling, Glyn Morgan, Tessa Spencer Pryse, Claude Rogers and Michael Rothenstein. In November 2022, the museum re-opened to the public after a transformational refurbishment. The international centre for Thomas Gainsborough is now the largest gallery in Suffolk. At the bottom of the garden is a coach house built in 1928 which has been converted for use as Gainsborough's House Print Workshop.