BIRMINGHAM SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE

1908 - ?

BIRMINGHAM

Birmingham School of Architecture originated in classes held at the Birmingham School of Art in Margaret Street and in 1908 the School became a department of the College. Recognition by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) of the Part 1 Examination was granted in 1923, followed by the Part 2 and Part 3 Examinations in 1930. In 1970 the principal Colleges of Higher Education in Birmingham were amalgamated to form Birmingham Polytechnic and a facility structure grouped architecture with construction and surveying, planning, landscape and housing in the Faculty of the Built Environment. The vocational field of Interior Design was developed at Birmingham Polytechnic between 1971 and 1992. In 1992, University status was granted when the Polytechnic became the University of Central England in Birmingham (UCE). In 2001 the School of Architecture and Landscape was formed within the faculty and in June 2005 Birmingham School of Architecture moved to the Birmingham Institute of Art and Design (BIAD) at Gosta Green campus. In 2008 the School celebrated its Centenary year and announcements were made about a move to a new 62 million building at Eastside.