PHILLIPPS, Efa Florence

1867 - 1952

Efa Florence Phillipps, was born at Colchester, Essex on 22 March 1867, eldest daughter of Charles Burch Phillipps [q.v.] and his wife Amy Florence née Colville [Phillipps q.v.] who married at St Mary's Church, Bury St Edmund's, Suffolk on 27 June 1865. Efa was a member of the Ipswich Art Club in 1875 when she exhibited from Barham Hall, Ipswich, 'The Vanished Sail' and may have further exhibits but they are conflated with Miss, Mrs &c., such as 'Blakenham Mill, West Side', 'Solitude' and 'The Southwold Monument, Barking Church'. She married at Barham on 19 November 1898, Colonel Sir Richard Edward Rowley Martin (2 September 184715 May 1907), late Deputy-Commissioner of South Africa, of Hemingstone Hall, Ipswich and they went to live at 4 Crag Path, Wentworth Terrace, Aldeburgh where their daughter Sarah was born in 1900. Her husband died at Hemingstone on 15 May 1907, aged 60, being survived by a son and a daughter, when Efa went to live with her widowed mother and unmarried sister Margarert Joan Phillipps (29 August 1876-9 November 1958) at Claydon Lodge, near Ipswich. In 1939, a widow, living at St Mary's, Church Road, Coddenham, Suffolk with her unmarried daughter Sarah (Sally) (18 December 1899-14 December 1972) and Efa's unmarried sister Margaret. Efa died at St Mary's, Church Road, Coddenham on 11 December 1952.