1878 - 1962

As Hon. Mary Hill-Trevor, she was born at St George's Hanover Square, London on 12 September 1878, eleventh child of Lord Arthur Edwin Hill (1819-1894), 1st Baron Trevor of Brynkinalt, and his second wife Hon. Mary Catherine Curzon (1837-1911), who married at Kedleston, Derbyshire on 13 April 1860. Mary married firstly on 2 January 1901, Lt-Col. James Archibald Morrison, son of Alfred Morrison and Mabel née Chermside, by whom she had three children Mary (born 6 February 1902), Simon Archibald (19 September 1903-18 August 1969) and Elizabeth (5 July 1909-16 December 1995). She and Lt-Col. James Archibald Morrison were divorced in 1913. She married secondly on 9 October 1915, Douglas Alexander Mitchell Carruthers (4 October 1882-23 May 1962), author & explorer, son of Reverend William Mitchell-Carruthers (1853-1931), one time rector of Holbrook, Suffolk, and Antonia née Holden (1857-1929). Douglas and Mary lived at Barmer Hall, Kings Lynn and Mary Carruthers studied at Norwich School of Art 19281930, then at the Grosvenor School of Modern Art 19291930, with Iain Macnab (1890-1967), her strengths were in her portraits and flower pieces. In 1939, they were living at Scotts Cottage, Wells Road, Docking, Norfolk. As Hon. Mary Carruthers was chairman of the Norfolk and Norwich Art Circle and exhibited with Royal Birmingham Society of Artists; Royal Scottish Academy; Society of Women Artists; Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours; the Paris Salon and in 1933 she exhibited at the Ipswich Art Club from Barmer Hall, Syderstone, Kings Lynn, Norfolk, a sculpture 'Head of a Boy'. The Hon. Mary and Douglas Alexander Mitchell Carruthers were divorced in 1948 and Mary Carruthers, described as 'single woman' of Scotts Cottage, Burnham Overy Staithe, Burnham Market, Norfolk died at 6 Cadogan Court, Draycott Avenue, Chelsea on 3 September 1962.