ROBINSON, George Gilmour

1894 - 1985

George Gilmour Robinson was born at Lambeth, London on 4 August 1894, son of George Thomas Robinson (1849-22 January 1908), a solicitor, and his wife Ada Violet Gallier née Pilchen (1861-5 February 1941), who married at Kensington, London in 1892. In 1901, George was a 7-year-old, living at 39 Inverness Terrace, Paddington, London with his parents, 52-year-old George and 39-year-old Ada Violet and a sibling sister Nina Lucy Maud (1893-22 November 1952), his father died in 1908. George was educated at Repton and Trinity College, Oxford, graduating M.A., and served as an officer in the R.A.S.C. during the First World War. After the war, George was a barrister living at Inner Temple, 10 Cadogan Mansions, Sloane Square, London. On 2 August 1935, he was appointed resident magistrate at Nakura, an Eritrean island in the Dahlak Archipelago situated west of Dahlak Kebir and later a High Court Judge in Nairobi, Kenya. He married at Mombasa Cathedral on 6 January 1931, Constance Margaret Fordham of Steeple Morden, Hertfordshire, they had one child but divorced in 1940 and in 1942 he married secondly, Murial Alice Fry (13 February 1904-26 June 1989). A High Court Judge who sailed for Zanzibar in 1952 and was Chief Justice of that country being knighted in 1955, when he retired. President of Southwold Art Circle, Sir George Gilmour Robinson died at The Old House, Southwold, Suffolk on 19 October 1985, and in 1987 his widow gave 500 to the Art Club which was placed into a special fund.