JAMES, Henry Lionel

1857 - 1944

Henry Lionel James, was born at Deptford, Greenwich, Kent on 20 March 1857, son of Revd Thomas James and his wife Sarah Spedding née Smith, [James q.v.], who married at Lewisham, London in 1853. Educated at Royal Guildford Grammar School and in 1871, a 13 year old, living at 6 Guyscliffe, Bradford, Yorkshire with his parents, 45 year old Thomas, born Canterbury, Kent and 42 year old Sarah, born Islington, London, and his 16 year old sibling brother Gilbert. He studied for the ministry at St Aidan's Theological College, Birkenhead and was ordained at Norwich Cathedral in May 1880. In 1881, a 23 year old curate at St Clement’s church, Ipswich, living at at 37 Fonnereau Road, Ipswich, the home of the rector Robert Browne (1835-1900). A member of the Ipswich Fine Art Club 1885-1890, watercolour and landscape painter, exhibiting from 44 Christchurch Street, Ipswich in 1884, six watercolours 'Felixstowe on the Ipswich Road, Winter', 'On the Blyth, Walberswick', 'Bawdsey Ferry', 'The Old Cable, Dunwich', 'The Ferry, Walberswick' and 'Shrimp Cottages, Southwold' and from the same address in 1885, six watercolours 'The Bridge, Walberswick', 'The Golf Tower, Bawdsey Ferry', 'The Quay, Walberswick', 'Walberswick Deserted', 'Eastern Broad, Suffolk' and 'Interior of Walton Church'. After a very short period at Laxley, Isle of Man, in 1885 he took the vicarage of Blythburgh and Walberswick, Suffolk and was compiling a topographical record of the village in watercolour paintings. In 1887 took the living of St Cuthbert’s, Everton, Liverpool and in 1891, the 33 year old vicar of St Cuthbert’s, living at 66 Anfield Road, Walton-on-the-Hill with his 59 year old widowed mother Sarah, and whilst at Everton continued to exhibit at Ipswich Fine Art Club, exhibiting a total of 33 works between 1884-1889, from Ipswich, Walberwick and from Everton, Liverpool. In 1891 he went to the rectory of St Dunstan's-in-the-West, Fleet Street, London and he married at Walton-on-the-Hill, Liverpool in 1895, 20 year old Sarah Ellen Loheide and in 1901, a 43 year old clerk in holy orders, living at 58 Clovelly Gardens, St Pancras, London with his 25 year old wife Sarah, born Walton-on-the-Hill. In 1911, they were living at ‘Croxteth’ Queen’s Road, South Benfleet, Essex and in 1919 took the living of Hatfield, Berkshire. In 1925 he returned to Norfolk as rector of Alderford with Attlebridge and in 1929 of Belaugh near Wroxham. On 10 December 1831 was inducted as rector of St Andrew's Church Fersfield, Norfolk and he died at Fersfield on 9 December 1944, aged 87. Much of his work in watercolours is in the possession of Colchester & Ipswich Museums Service




Works by This Artist