DAY, Winifred Harriet

1898 - 1982

Winifred Harriet Day was born at 48 Norwich Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk on 4 October 1898 and baptised at Lowestoft St Margaret Church on 1 January 1899, daughter of Edward William Day, a carpenter, and his wife Emily Mary née Howlett, who married at Lowestoft in 1885. In 1911, Winifred was a 12-year-old, living at 48 Norwich Road, Lowestoft with her parents, 49-year-old Edward William and 47-year-old Emily, and her eight of ten siblings, Hilda Emily 22, Dorothy Ellen 20, Ruby Margaret 18, William Robert 17, Ivan George 10, Frank Edward 8, Harold George 6 and Stanley James 6. Winifred married at Lowestoft in 1922, Stanley Elliott Leighton (born 9 October 1898) but continued to paint under the name of Winifred Day. An artist in watercolours but also painted in oil, exhibiting under the name of Winifred Day at the Walker Art Gallery from Lowestoft School of Arts and Crafts in 1924. Their son David was born at Lowestoft in 1926, when Winifred seems to have given up painting and their second son Jonathan was born 1934, after which they moved from Lowestoft for a house on the Thames at Staines, Middlesex. In 1939, giving her birth year as 1900, was living at 'The Shanty', Laleham Road, Staines with her husband Stanley, a managing director of a public company in building, they later moved to Midhurst, Sussex. She spent her last few years overlooking The Bay at St Kilda, Melbourne, Australia, where her son Jonathan and his wife Angela lived. Winifred Harriet Leighton died in 1982.