PARTRIDGE, Ann St John

1855 - 1936

Annie Partridge, was born at Ross, Herefordshire in 1855 and baptised at Goodrich, Hereford on 9 December 1855, daughter of Joseph Partridge, an innkeeper, and his wife Ann née Whitlock, who married at Bromyard, Herefordshire in 1848. She may have added 'St John' into her name and she studied in Paris and the artist Letitia Hamilton (1878-1964) first came under the influence of the Impressionists whilst studying under Anne St John Partridge in Paris. In 1881, a Annie St John Partridge, a 24[sic] year old of 'independent means' was a visitor at 23 Devonshire Street, Marylebone, London, the home of 48 year old unmarried Jane Morris. In 1911, now Ann St John Partridge, a 50[sic] year old artist painter, born Herefordshire, living at 35 Maple Street, St Pancras, London with a 61 year old general servant. A prolific exhibitor, showing at the Royal Hibernian Academy; Royal Academy; Glasgow Institute of Fine Arts; Royal Society of Painters in Water Colours; Royal Scottish Academy and Society of Women Artists. Ann had a house built from a dismantled barn from Manor House Farm at Walberswick, Suffolk from where she painted from about 1926. A member of the Royal Society of British Artists and a member of Ipswich Art Club from 1934 exhibiting in 1934 from The End Hut, Walberswick, an oil 'The Coastguard's Cottage' and a watercolour 'The Old Kissing Bridge' and in 1936 from Cheyne Studios, Cheyne Road, Chelsea London, two oils 'The Flooded Marshes' and 'From an East Coast Window' and a watercolour 'Pansies'. She was of Cheyne Cottage, Cheyne Row, Chelsea when she died at Great Cheyne Studio, London on 20 August 1936, aged 69[sic], she was unmarried and became younger in the census over the years.




Works by This Artist