WHYTEHEAD, Rachel Layard

1916 - 2002

Rachel Layard Whytehead was born at East Grinstead, Sussex on 11 January 1916, daughter of Revd Ralph Layard Whytehead (9 October 1883-15 November 1956) and his wife Catherine Margaret Barbour (30 March 1887-30 September 1976), only daughter of Sir David and Lady Barbour of Tiltwood, Crawley Down, who married at All Saints' Church, Crawley Down, East Grinstead on 2 May 1911. Rachel was educated at Entry House School, Diss where she won the drawing prize in 1925. A member and exhibitor at Norfolk & Norwich Art Circle 1934-1948 from Norwich and from Lowestoft. In 1939, Rachel was living at 3 The Rectory, Park Mansions North Parade, Lowestoft, Suffolk with her parents and two sisters, Elizabeth Katherine [Hewitt] (24 January 1914-9 December 1997) and June Beresford [Riddle] (25 February 1918-19 April 1994). Rachel married at Kings Lynn, Norfolk in 1949, John Fountain Page (1915-1990). Rachel Layard Page died at 10 Chancel Close, Norwich, Norfolk on 7 January 2002. Her mother Catherine Margaret Whytehead was also a member and exhibitor at the Norfolk & Norwich Art Circle 1932-1938 from Eaton, Norwich before the family move to Lowestoft.