SEXTON, Ellen Maria

1866 - 1948

Ellen Maria Sexton was born at Wherstead Hall, near Ipswich on 26 March 1866, only daughter of George Mumford Sexton, (1828-10 May 1894), a farmer & auctioneer, and his wife Ellen Matilda Frost (1833-25 June 1904), daughter of William Stutter Frost, who married at Thorrington, Essex on 3 October 1854. In 1881, young Ellen was a 15-year-old scholar, living at Wherstead Hall, with her parents, 52-year-old George, a farmer of 405 acres, and 47-year-old Ellen, and sibling George Frost 22, another brother William Robert Sexton was absent. A landscape painter in oil and, as Miss E. M. Sexton, a member of Ipswich Fine Art Club 1886-1893 and exhibited from Wherstead Hall in 1886 four works, 'Shotley Point', 'Bawdsey Ferry', 'Autumn Tints' and 'Erwarton Church', in 1887 'A Moment' and 'In Midsummer', in 1888 'At Flatford, a Cottage Home' and 'The Mill House, Dedham' in all she exhibited some twenty-one works, mostly local landscapes including in 1891 'Parham Hall' and 'By the Orwell'. She also exhibited from Wherstead Hall at the Woodbridge Art Exhibition at the Lecture Hall, Woodbridge in April 1887 two oil paintings, 'Early Courtship' and 'At Wherstead' and in 1889 also exhibiting at the Woodbridge Art Exhibition when held at the Assembly Room, Bull Hotel, Woodbridge. She married at St Helen's church, Ipswich on 11 October 1893, Cyril Frederick South (1863-1928) of Uttoxeter. In 1901 they were living at Heath, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire where Cyril was a 35 [sic] year-old auctioneer, with his 35-year-old wife and their two children Winifred 5 and John Mumford 2, both born in Staffordshire and her now widowed mother Ellen Matilda Sexton 68, they had a further daughter Enid, born on 11 October 1893. Her husband Cyril, died at Leecroft, Rowley Park, Stafford on 12 February 1928 and probate at 13,334 2s. 9d. In 1939, Ellen was living at 23 The Moorings, St Johns Road, Rowley Park, Stafford. Ellen Maria South was of Rowley Park, Stafford when she died at Staffordshire General Infirmary, Stafford on 13 January 1948.