1893 - ?

In 1893 saw the introduction of the first classes of Further Education in Chelmsford, organised by Mr. C.H. Baskett and attended by some fifty students in Crane Court. By the turn of the century the number of students had grown to around three hundred and larger premises were needed, and plans were drawn up for a new centre in Market Road. Lord Rayleigh, a Nobel Prize winner, laid the foundation stone of the first purpose-built buildings for Further Education, in Market Road in December 1904 and it opened on 2 October 1905. The ground floor housed the new Chelmsford Free Library with the newly titled Chelmsford School of Science and Art on the upper floor with Mr. Baskett the first Headmaster, this building currently forms the East Block of the Chelmsford campus. In 1928 proposals were drawn up to reorganise the School and plan a new building and in 1931 the new Science Block, now the Library Block, was opened. The original building continued for the Art activities. In 1935 the College was renamed The Mid Essex Technical College and School of Art a title that it held until 1976. In 1976 the `Mid Essex Tech' merged with Brentwood College of Education' to form the Chelmer Institute of Higher Education and in 1984 renamed The Essex Institute of Higher Education which in 1989, merged with the Cambridgeshire College of Arts and Technology to form the Anglia Higher Education College. In 1991 it adopted the title Anglia Polytechnic and in June 1992 it became the Anglia Polytechnic University.