SHORT, William

1829 - 1921

William Short was born at 'Hillside', Broad Street, Eye, Suffolk on 12 February 1829, son of George Groom Short (1792-8 September 1875), a builder & county court bailiff, and his wife Hannah née Clarke (1790-25 June 1865), who married at Eye on 23 October 1815. William was born, married, and died in the same family home at Eye. In 1851, an artist portrait painter, living with his parents, 58-year-old George and 60-year-old Hannah. William married at Cratfield Church, Suffolk on 11 June 1868, Mary Anne Bolton, third daughter of Louis Bolton of Home Park Farm, Hoxne, near Eye. In 1871, a 'magistrate & artist', and was still in the same situation in 1881 with the addition of daughter, Mary Elizabeth Short but his wife died in December that year, aged 50. In 1891, an 'artist painter, Royal Academy medallist, magistrate & county councillor', a widower with his 19-year-old student daughter Mary and in November 1916 was elected Mayor of Eye. Although not a member, he exhibited two portraits at the Ipswich Fine Art Club from Eye in 1881 'Portrait (unfinished)' and 'Mr C. G. Read', in 1882 'Shylock and Tubal', 'Old Hundred Bridge, Henstead' and 'More than a Match for Him', and in 1883 'In Temptation' and 'J. Aldrich, Esq.', he also exhibited one picture at the Royal Academy in 1914. William Short died at his home at Eye on 13 April 1921, aged 92, leaving his effects to his daughter Mary.

Royal Academy Exhibits
from Hillside, Eye, Suffolk
1914 744 Lucerne. Old Fruit Market

Works by This Artist