BACON, John Collingwood

1882 - 1950

John Collingwood Bacon was born at 25 Hatter Street, Bury St Edmund's, Suffolk on 15 September 1882 and baptised on 15 October 1882, son of Henry Francis Bacon, an architect, and his wife Maria England née Woodcock (1845-1915), who married at St Mary's Church, Standon, Hertfordshire on 8 October 1872. John was educated at Newport Grammar School in Essex and studied at Reigate and Redhill School of Arts and Crafts. He married at Holy Trinity Church, South Wimbledon on 4 April 1917, Elsie Jane Redfern (17 February 1887-24 July 1966) and they had one son, John. A telephone engineer and a watercolour artist, etcher and craftworker in oak. He exhibited at Brook Street Art Gallery in London and in the provinces. John Collingwood Bacon was of Distaff Cottage, Newport, Saffron Walden, Essex when he died at Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge on 16 November 1950. He signed his work, John Bacon.