PHOENIX ART CLUB

1953 - 1960

The Phoenix Art Club was founded around 1953 at 97 High Street, Lavenham, Suffolk and held its first exhibition 'Lavenham in Paint, Pastel and Pencil' at the Phoenix Art Gallery on 24 May 1954 which was opened by Cavendish Morton. The introduction was by Ronald McCausland-White (1908-1980), owner of the Phoenix Gallery, who was asking for new members. In 1960 it became independent of the Gallery and adopted a constitution and name as the Suffolk Art Society.

The committee was
Thomas Bayliss Huxley-Jones (19081968), sculptor
Paul Earee and
James Kidwell Popham