SMITH, Harold Gilead

1880 - 1941

Harry Gilead Smith, was born on 2 October 1880, son of James Smith and his wife Sarah née Gilead, who married at Orsett, Essex in 1855. Harold married at Chertsey, Surrey in 1914, Madeline Zoe Scott-Moncrieff (born 31 August 1891-1942). The London Gazette announced on 9 September 1914 his promotion to Captain; 'Harold Gilean Smith, late lieutenant The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)'. He lived at Orford House, Hacheston, Suffolk and was a watercolour landscape painter and craftworker and a member of Ipswich Art Club 1932-1938 and exhibited from Orford House, Hacheston in 1933, three sculpture pieces and exhibited twelve works in all, including in 1936 'On the Medway' and 'Sunset, Wickham Market', he also exhibited some views in the Dordogne, France. By 1939 he had hyphenated his surname to Gilead-Smith and was living at the Old Vicarage, Rendham, Suffolk with his wife Madeline, the home of Alice Leisenring [q.v.]. He died at Orchard House, Hacheston on 2 July 1941 and buried in the local churchyard.