LEEDS ART GALLERY

1888 - ?

Leeds Art Gallery

Leeds Art Gallery, The Headrow, Leeds is part of the Leeds Museums & Galleries group, whose collection of 20th-century British Art was designated by the British government in 1997 as a collection 'of national importance'. The original concept of this gallery was initiated by an executive committee formed in 1876 by Leeds Fine Art Society and the gallery was built 18861888 as an extension to the Municipal Buildings and opened on 3 October 1888 as Leeds City Art Gallery. In 1912, the Leeds Art Collections Fund, now known as the Leeds Art Fund, was formed to support the gallery's acquisitions. In 1982 it was modified, turning the entrance from the East side to the South, on the Headrow, with an extension for the sculpture collection and a further development was the conversion of three Victorian houses on Cookridge Street to the Henry Moore Institute and contains the main sculpture collections. The new building was opened by Her Majesty the Queen on 26 November 1982. In 2007 further changes included opening the Victorian Tiled Hall which links the gallery and the library, and the former Queen's Gallery was named after local businessman and patron of the arts, Arnold Ziff and at first floor level there is direct access from the gallery to the Art Library. The gallery includes a ground floor lecture theatre named after Henry Moore which is used for a variety of events.
Website: https://museumsandgalleries.leeds.gov.uk/leeds-art-gallery