GERMAN GALLERY

1866 - 1875

Paul Durand-Ruel opened his ‘German gallery’ in London at 168, New Bond Street and the first advertisement for the German Gallery is in the Morning Herald in June 1866 and they held an exhibition of the works of William White Warren in November 1869 of ‘Original Sketches recently taken in Rome, Naples, Venice, Sardinia, Corsica, together with previous tours by W. W. Warren’. They also held yearly exhibitions of the Society of French Artists and the works of the Impressionists were exhibited. 1870-1875 when Durand-Ruel organised ten exhibitions. Due to financial problems Durand-Ruel had to sell his gallery in London and in May 1879 it changed its name to the New Continental Galleries, when they held an exhibition of the works of Michael Munkacsy, the Hungarian artist. Since 1851 Paul Durand-Ruel (31 October 1831-5 February 1922) had worked in the gallery of his father and in 1865 he took over the gallery at the Rue de la Paix of his late father and continued supporting the Barbizon school and in 1869 he opened a new gallery at 11, Rue Peletier, Paris and in April 1871 he opened a Gallery in Brussels. At first the Durand-Ruel Gallery concentrated on works of the Barbizon painters and other landscape pre-impressionists. He also sold works of Para-impressionists like Manet and Feyen-Perrin. Paul Durand-Ruel was the most important art-dealer for the Impressionists, probably without his efforts the works of the Impressionists would not have been known as they are today and for the Impressionists Durand-Ruel was crucial for financial support and for becoming known in France and on the international art-market.