1894 - ?

Norwich Castle is a medieval royal fortification in the city of Norwich. William the Conqueror (10661087) ordered its construction in the aftermath of the Norman Conquest of England. The castle was purchased by the city of Norwich to be used as a museum and Edward Boardman undertook the conversion. Soane's cell complex within the keep was swept away and flooring and balconies installed. Norman style arches were built to support the new glazed roof. Wilkins's central gaoler's house and walled prisoner exercise yards made way for gardens and the cell blocks were converted to viewing galleries. The museum was officially opened by the Duke and Duchess of York on 23 October 1894. The castle remains a museum and art gallery and still contains many of its first exhibits, the museum's fine art collection includes costumes, textiles, jewellery, glass, ceramics and silverware, and a large display of ceramic teapots. The fine art galleries feature works by the early 19th century Norwich School of painters as well as English watercolour paintings, Dutch landscapes, and modern British paintings from the 17th to 20th centuries. The Norwich Union and Bernard Matthews exhibition galleries host a lively and varied programme of shows. Over the years they have played host to works by Hans Holbein the Younger, Titian, Constable, Picasso, Manet and Jeff Koons amongst many others.