1896 - ?

The Pendleton Mechanics Institute formed in 1850 and the Salford Working Men's College in 1858, these two merged at the end of the 19th century to form the Royal Technical Institute, Salford, which was opened by the Duke and Duchess of York, who became King George V and Queen Mary, in 1896. In 1921 The Royal Technical Institute, Salford was renamed the Royal Technical College, Salford. In 1958 these splits into two organisations, The Royal College of Advanced Technology and The Peel Park Technical College. On 10 February 1967, the Royal College of Advanced Technology became the University of Salford when Queen Elizabeth II handed over the Royal Charter. University College Salford and the University of Salford finally into a single institution in 1996, exactly 100 years after the formation of the original Royal Technical Institute.