1904 - ?

The Lake Artists Society was founded in 1904 on the initiative of William Gershom Collingwood (1854-1932), author, artist, antiquary and professor of Fine Arts at University College, Reading, and secretary to John Ruskin, to promote the work of its members. The first exhibition was in Coniston in 1905, and exhibitions have been staged every year since then, except for four years during the Second World War. Membership is limited to forty-five with a rigorous procedure for election of new members.