CITY AND GUILDS OF LONDON ART SCHOOL

1854 - ?

The City and Guilds of London Art School, originally known as the Lambeth School of Art, is one of Englandís longest established art colleges having been founded in 1854 and was in St Oswald's Place close to The Oval cricket ground. It was started by Canon Robert Gregory of St Mary's The Less Church in the diocese of Lambeth for the benefit of young mechanics working in local industry. It initially ran evening classes in basic drawing and design, however, after John Sparkes was appointed as Head in 1857, the School rapidly expanded and in 1860, the foundation stone for a new building was laid by the Prince of Wales. In 1879 the School was taken over by the City and Guilds of London Institute and through changes in names, including the South London Technical School of Art, in 1938 became known as the City and Guilds of London Art School. By the 1960s the School had become more Fine Art orientated and in 1997 the Fine Art and Sculpture courses attained degree status.