1881 - ?

The Royal Cambrian Academy was founded in 1881, the seven men who launched the academy were associated with the artists' colony, but the group soon expanded to include like-minded Welsh artists. In 1881 this newly formed group called themselves the Cambrian Academy of Art and held their first exhibition in Llandudno. Official recognition came quickly when in 1882 Queen Victoria commanded that the Academy be styled as 'Royal'. To further their reputation, they made four eminent British artists honorary members and organised major exhibitions in Cardiff in 1884 and 1885 when Clarence Whaite succeeded its first president Edwin Arthur Norbury. Its Headquarters in Plas Mawr, an Elizabethan building in the centre of Conwy in North Wales. Built between 1570 and 1595, the house is still in its original state and is recognised as being the finest example of an Elizabethan town mansion in Wales. The Academy's annual Summer Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture are held there and is open to non-members based on the selection of works by a judging panel. The Royal Cambrian Academy is devoted to the visual arts in Wales and the membership of over one hundred artist members who include many of Wales' most popular and highly respected artists and they promote up and coming artists of quality, mount contemporary and historical exhibitions, and offer a lively programme of education and community workshops.

Works by This Artist