MURRAY, Constance Digby

1876 - 1965

Constance Digby Murray, was born at Camberley, Surrey on 3 June 1876, daughter of Col. Kenhelm Digby Murray (1839-1915) and his wife Caroline née Thomson, who married in Scotland on 23 May 1870 and in 1901 were living at The Croft, High Street, Holbrook near Ipswich. A painter in oil and watercolour and an etcher and a member of the Ipswich Fine Art Club 1909-1924 exhibiting from Holbrook, Suffolk in 1910, an oil 'The Gipping, Sproughton', in 1912 an oil 'Ipswich Docks' and a watercolour 'On the Gipping' and in 1913 four watercolours 'Stoke Bridge', 'Saaner, Switzerland', 'Kersey' and 'Courtyard, Ancient House, Ipswich' exhibiting some twenty-two works 1906-1923 including an oil in 1906 ‘Peep of the Orwell’, in 1914 a watercolour ‘Barn Interior’ and an etching ‘Old Granary, Ipswich’, her last exhibits at Ipswich were in 1923 when she exhibited 'Old Oak Lane', 'Aerodrome, Martlesham', 'Courtmasberry' and 'Old Head of Kinsale' and two etchings 'Old House, Colchester' and 'Cottages near Burstall'. On the death of her mother on 13 February 1927, she moved to Bath, Somerset from where she exhibited at the Royal West of England Academy in 1929 ‘The Chapter House, Wells’ and ‘Bath Abbey’. In 1939, she was living at 14 South Parade, Bath and she died at Bath on 3 July 1965, aged 89, she was unmarried.