ERITH, Raymond Charles

1904 - 1973

Raymond Erith

Raymond Charles Erith, was born at 50 Filey Avenue, Hackney, London on 7 August 1904, second child and eldest son of Charles Erith and his wife Florence May née Laubenburg, who married in 1902. In 1905 Charles Erith moved his family to Sutton in Surrey and at the age of four he contracted tuberculosis which left him with a crippled left arm and in 1911 was a patient at 14 Clarendon Road Cliftonville, Margate, Kent. When aged 12, he was again bedridden with a fall and broken leg and it was at this time that he began to paint and later made designs and plans. In 1921, he began his training at the Architectural Association and won several prizes over the next three years. On qualification as an architect he travelled to Europe and, with his brother Felix, had a walking tour to the Stour Valley in Suffolk where his ancestors were residents which was the beginning of Erith's close association with Suffolk. He joined a practice in London before setting up his own practice at Bridge Street, Westminster in 1928 and in 1934 joined his father, owner of the Bedford Brick Company, when he designed the company kilns and other buildings. He married in 1934, Pamela, daughter of Arthur Spencer Jackson and in 1936 they moved to Dalebrook House, High Street Dedham, Essex. In 1946 Erith opened an office at 5 Queen Street, Ipswich moving to 1 Arcade Street in 1953 from where he completed several designs for Suffolk buildings. As an architect elected an Associate of the Royal Academy on 23 April 1959 and a full Member on 23 April 1964. He was of Dedham House, Essex when he died in hospital on 30 November 1973, and buried in Dedham churchyard. [Raymond Erith by Lucy Archer. 1985.]

Works by This Artist