KING, Emily

1835 - 1918

Born at Ipswich on 17 September 1835, and baptised at St Mary le Tower church on 18 October, the same year, daughter of John King (1807-1867), proprietor of the 'Suffolk Chronicle', and his wife Charlotte née Ridley, who married at St Matthew’s church, Ipswich on 6 December 1833, she was the brother of Spencer and Walter John King, printers. A member of the Ipswich Fine Art Club 1875-1888 who, in 1881 exhibited watercolours from Berners Street, Ipswich ‘Ruins at Strathaven’ and the following year exhibited from 16 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich 'Penally, near Tenby, Wales' and in 1883 three watercolours ''Entrance to Ipswich from Tuddenham Road', 'Old Hall' and 'The Pathway to the Church'. Her mother died in 1887 when she took lodgings at 8 Gipping House, Burrell Road, Ipswich ‘living on own means’ and in 1901 a visitor at ‘Haysleigh’ Felixstowe, the home of widow Emma Chandler. She died in 1918, aged 83, she was unmarried.