KEENE, Henry Eddowes

1824 - 1909

Henry Eddowes Keene, was born at Margaret Street, Cavendish Square, London on 6 November and baptised at St Maryís Church, Marylebone Road, London on 1 December 1824, son of Samuel Browne Keene (17 December 1768-3 January 1838), and buried in St Lawrence church, Ipswich, who was a solicitor of 16 Furnival's Inn, London and at Ipswich, and his second wife Mary née Sparrowe (1796-1881), daughter of John Sparrowe (1754-1821) of the old Ipswich family of Sparrowe's House in the Buttermarket. A brother of Charles Samuel Keene [q.v.] he was educated at Miss Johnson's school in Queen's Road, Bayswater following that, at Ipswich School (1833-1839), then in Foundation Street, Ipswich, they lived at a house nearly opposite Sparrowe's House. Following his father's death, his mother removed to a smaller house in Ipswich then took a lease on a house in Lower Thames Street, London and in 1841, Henry was living with his widowed mother at Great Russell Street, London. From 1845 Henry pursued a commercial career with the London and Westminster Bank but was 64 years old before being made manager of the Bloomsbury branch. He devoted his leisure time to yachting and drawing, but was overshadowed by his brother Charles Samuel Keene. In 1851, a 26 year old bankerís clerk, one of the many lodgers of James White and his family at 36 East Street, Finsbury but by 1861 had retured to live with his 64 year old mother Mary at Blythe Lane, Hammersmith. He married in 1863, Marian Hanby Robinson and in 1871 was living at 9 Portland Place, Hammersmith Road, Fulham with his 35 year old wife, born at Lambeth and children Grace Sophia 5, Mary 3 and William 2, all born at Hammersmith and four more children were added over the next ten years by which time he had moved to 10 Curdlis Road, Hammersmith. In 1888, when promoted to a bank manager, he moved to 214 High Holborn, Bloomsbury where he retained four indoor servants. At the age of 74, he retired to the Manor House, Bramley, Guildford, Surrey where he was living in 1901 with his wife and seven umarried children. Henry died at the Manor House on 19 January 1909, leaving nearly £18,000, after which his wife and family continued to live there and where his 80 year old wife died on 22 March 1916. His children had successful careers, Mary a violinist, Alfred, a stock & share dealer, William, a stock exchange clerk and Richard, a bank clerk.




Works by This Artist