KING, Henry Bartlett

1820 - 1908

Henry Bartlett King, was born at Chelmsford, Essex on 29 September 1820 and baptised on 25 April 1821, son of Capt. John Duncan King, R.N. (c1789-23 August 1863) and his wife Sally née Tindal (March 1789-1 August 1859), who married at Chelmsford on 7 January 1815. Henry joined the Royal Navy and was a midshipman on the 'Asia' during the operations of 1840 on the coast of Syria. He passed his examinations on 12 April 1842, obtaining his commission on 7 February 1846 as an Additional-Lieutenant on the 'Agincourt', flag-ship of Sir Thomas John Cochrane (1789-1872). In 1861, a 40 year old Commander, R.N., lodging at High Street, Cromer, Norfolk. He married at Tunstead, Norfolk in 1868, Mary Preston (1838-1914) daughter of Revd Edwards Wilkins, and they had two daughters. In 1871 he was living at Horstead with Staininghall, St Faiths, Norfolk with his 33 year old wife and two servants and ten years later a 'retired captain R.N.' at the same address. He exhibited at the Ipswich Fine Art Club from 22 Nelson Road, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk in 1884, two watercolours 'The Mouth of the Bure, Great Yarmouth' and 'The Old North Tower, Great Yarmouth' and two in 1885 'A Nook in Great Yarmouth' and 'On the Bure, Great Yarmouth'. He was of The Cove, Christchurch Road, Eaton, Norwich when he died at The Cove, 309 Unthank Road, Norwich, Norfolk on 30 November 1908 and his wife died at the same address on 13 October 1914.