HALL, Mildred Jessie

1881 - 1955

Mildred Jessie Hall

Mildred Jessie Hall, was born at Hither Green Lane, Lewisham, London in 1881, only child of Alfred William Hall, a solicitor, and his wife Jessie Elvira née Sinkler, who married at Hampstead, London in 1880. In 1891, a 9 year old, living at Lewisham with her parents, 42 year old Alfred and 43 year old Jessie. Her father died in 1892 and in 1901, Mildred and her mother were living with her uncle Edward Sinker, at 55 Clarendon Road, Lewisham. Mildred studied at the Slade School of Fine Art and then in Munich, where she lived with her mother as chaperone over their objections to her marrying Frank Jennings. However Mildred married in 1906, architect Frank Jennings (25 April 1877–1949) and they moved to ‘The Gazebo’ Walberswick, Suffolk where their two sons, including Frank Humphrey Sinkler Jennings [q.v.], were born. An artist in pen & ink drawings, pencil work and watercolours, having a flair for landscapes and houses and she illustrated 'Ferry Knoll, Walberswick Notes' by Carol Christie (1911). In 1919 she opened 'Walberswick Peasant Pottery Company' and in 1920 moved the shop from Walberswick to 12 Holland Street, off Kensington Church Road, in West London and they lived over the shop, but retained 'The Gazebo' as a summer holiday home, only selling it in the late 1920s to purchase a dilapidated farmhouse in Essex but later built another house on the other side of Walberswick. Mildred and Frank drifted apart and Mildred went to live at Chorley Wood, Hertfordshire and Frank at Chertsey, Surrey. She was of 36 Ladbroke Square, Kensington when died at St Charles Hospital, Kensington, London on 26 March 1955 and buried in Brompton Cemetery five days later.




Works by This Artist