QUINTON, George

1776 - c.1851

George Quinton, was baptised at Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Suffolk on 11 February 1776, son of George Quinton (1734-1819) and his second wife Frances. An engraver who studied at the Royal Academy Schools, but after a period in London returned to his home village of Wetheringsett. In the Ipswich Journal of 18 November 1797 he advertises 'Engravings by G. Quinton. An engraving from the original portrait of Milton, by P. V. Plas, in the possession of Capel Lofft, Esq. Price five shillings. A pair of oval prints emblematical of the Asylum and Magdelen Charities from the original pictures by the late Mr. Duche, in the possession of B. G. Dillingham, Esq.' The painting 'Of a Man' (Milton?) is now in the National Gallery, donated by Capel Lofft. One of Quinton's patrons was agriculturist Arthur Young (1741-1820) of Bradfield St George, Suffolk. From the early 1800s, George's decorative book label design was offered for supply to printers by William Davison (1780-1858) of Alnwick, Northumberland and may have been obtained through Bury St Edmund's stationer & postmaster Philip Deck (1745-1804), whose shop, next to the Norman Tower, Quinton painted and titled 'Saxon Tower'. He was involved in a court case in 1847 and is probably the George Edward Quinton who died at Wetheringsett in 1851.


Pieter van der Plas (fl. circa 1610–1650)
Thomas Spence Duché (1763-1790)




Works by This Artist