FANING, Mary Louisa

1875 - 1952

As Mary Louisa Johnston, she was born at Stanningfield, Bury St Edmund's, Suffolk on 18 June 1875 and baptised at St Nicholas Church, Stanningfield on 15 August 1875, daughter of Revd Charles Smyth Johnston (1844-4 November 1910), rector of Sproughton, Ipswich, and his wife Harriet Mary Hunter (1846-11 September 1899), daughter of Benjamin Bridges Hunter Rodwell, M.P., of Ampton Hall, who married at Ampton, Suffolk on 3 September 1874. Mary married at Stanningfield in 1902, Revd Roger Emmanuel Faning (1857-8 November 1936), rector of Bildeston, Suffolk and they had one daughter Phyllis, born in 1914. As Mary Faning, a watercolour landscape painter, and a member of the Ipswich Art Club 1934-1946 exhibiting from Bildeston House, High Street, Bildeston, Suffolk in 1936, two watercolours ‘The Courtyard, Swan Inn, Lavenham’ and 'Golden August', in 1938 ‘Misty Morning, Lake Como’ and 'Chelsworth Grange', in 1941 'Old Houses, Bildeston' with her last exhibited work was 'Salt Marshes, Thornham, Norfolk'. Her husband died in 1936, aged 77[sic] and in 1939, Mary Louisa Faning was a widow living at Bildeston House, with two servants and where she died on 9 November 1952, aged 77.