ELDRIDGE, Elsie Gertrude

1884 - 1949

As Elsie Gertrude Curtis, she was born at Fulham, London on 29 January 1884, daughter of John Alfred Curtis, a clerk in the meteorological office, and his wife Annie Maria née Clements, who married at Kensington, London in 1875. Elsie married at Fulham in 1907, Frederick John Pay Eldridge (1880-1951), and in 1911 a 27 year old, living at Tatchmoor, Mill Lane, Kettering, Northamptonshire with her 30 year old husband, a teacher of science & mathematics, born Westminster and their 1 year old son, Bernard John. They later moved to the Grammar School House at Eye, Suffolk. A painter in oil and water colour, and a member of the Ipswich Art Club 1923-1948, she exhibited a total of twenty-eight paintings during that time, mostly landscapes, still life and animal studies. In 1923, she exhibited two oils ‘Roses’ and ‘Feeding Time’ and four others 'Queensmere, Wimbledon', 'Muriel', 'Bluebells at Kew' and 'Study of a Head', in 1927 from Beech Place, Stowmarket, Suffolk, an oil 'Still Life' and four others items a 'Bust from Life-Tuleo', a leatherwork blotter and two leatherwork purses. In 1933 she exhibited from 'Rockford', Finborough Road, Stowmarket, four works 'Lions at the Zoo', 'Chas Bowden, Esq., 'West Door at Eye' and a book plate, and in 1937, two oil paintings ‘Eye Church Tower’ and ‘Dutch Barge, Rotterdam’. By 1939, she was living at 52 Hestercombe Avenue, Fulham, London and as Mrs F. J. Eldridge exhibited at Ipswich Art Club in 1943, 'Still Life', in 1944 as Mrs Elsie G. Eldridge 'The Backway, Hadleigh'. Her son 2nd Lieut David Eldridge was killed on active service during the Second World War on 21 May 1940. Elsie died at 68 Finborough Road, Stowmarket on 31 March 1949, aged 65, being survived by her husband.