BRIDGES-ADAMS, Marguerite Doris

1895 - 1963

Marguerite Bridges-Adams

As Marguerite Doris Wellsted, she was born at Hull, Yorkshire in 1895, youngest daughter of William Henry Wellsted (1845-9 December 1920), a civil engineer, and his wife Eliza Maisey (1859-4 October 1933), daughter of George Maisey of Dulwich, who married at Camberwell Parish Church, London on 18 April 1881. In 1901, Marguerite was a 6-year-old, living at Tranby Lodge, Hessle Without, Yorkshire with her parents, 55-year-old William and 41-year-old Eliza, and two sibling sisters, Viola Ruby 13, and Elsie Jessamie 9, and they retained four indoor servants; she had a sibling brother Charles Gordon (30 April 1885-7 March 1944). Marguerite was educated at Badminton House, Bristol where she was boarding in 1911. She married firstly at All Saints' Church, Hessle on 19 August 1916, Lt. Col. Colin Reith Coote (19 October 1893-8 June 1979), later Sir Colin, editor of the Daily Telegraph, of Stukley Hall, Huntingdon, they had two daughters Unity Reith Coote (1918-1980) and Patience Wellstead Reith Coote (1921-1975), Marguerite and Colin were granted a decree nisi on 30 July 1924. Marguerite married secondly at Paddington, London in 1929, William Bridges-Adams (1 March 188917 August 1965), theatrical historian, director and designer, and in 1937 they were living at Badingham Old Rectory, Suffolk, their son was John Nicholas William Bridges-Adams (1930-1998). Marguerite was a member of the Ipswich Art Club 1943-1949, although she had exhibited in 1942, two works 'Oakenhill, Badingham' and 'Hatfield Heath, Essex', and as Mrs Bridges-Adams exhibited from the Old Rectory, Badingham in 1943, three works 'Suffolk, November', 'Eikersdal, Norway' and a pastel 'Summer Flowers', in 1945 a watercolour 'Hill Farm, North Wales', in 1947 two works 'Porth Farm House, Cornwall' and 'Mawgan, Porth'. In 1949 she exhibited from The Lodge, Glengariff, Co. Cork two watercolours, 'Bantry Bay from Glengariff' and 'Dunanus Bay, County Cork'. Marguerite Doris Bridges-Adams died at her home in Waterfall, Bantry, Co. Cork, Ireland on 14 February 1963.