HOWLETT, Gertrude Emily

1859 - 1942

As Gertrude Emily Larratt, she was at Maxey, near Peterborough on 2 February and baptised 14 February 1859, daughter of Thomas Larratt, butcher & corn dealer, and his wife Mary née Measures, who married at Peterborough in 1853. Educated at Asylum Road Ladies Boarding School, Lincoln and in 1881 a 'resident governess' at 47 Harley Street, Marylebone, London. She married at Maxey in 1886, John Symonds Howlett, a farmer, and in 1891, a 32 year old, living at Hill House, Claydon, Suffolk with her 35 year old husband John and 1 year old daughter Phyllis Gertrude [Willis]. As Mrs J. Howlett, a member of the Ipswich Fine Art Club 1888-1890 and exhibited from Hillside[sic], Claydon in 1888, two pictures 'The Ferry, Pitlochry', which she had on sale for 15/-, and 'Claydon Mill from the Common' plus four items of pottery. In 1901, Gertrude and her daughter were living 'on own means' at 13 South Norwood Hill, Howden Road, Croydon and by 1911 had moved 6 The Crescent, Thorpe Road, Peterborough. Her husband died at Claydon in 1912, aged 56 and in 1939 Gertrude was a widow, living at 'Huton', Northbrook Road, Aldershot, Hampshire where she died on 30 May 1942.