1929 - 2010

Reg. Finbow

Reginald Frank Finbow was born at Lewisham, London in 1929, son of Walter Henry Finbow (5 April 1896-27 November 1974) and his wife Elsie Emily née Andrews (1897-1957), who married at Chelsea in 1916. Reg had been a keen artist all his life, however his father discouraged him from pursuing art as a career. Instead, he joined the Civil Service and later went into commerce, eventually running the Esso Petroleum training programme, but pursued his painting as an amateur and experimented with photography. An artist, book illustrator and regular contributor of cartoons to 'Punch', having around seventy published. He retired early and moved from Croydon to Castle Street, Framlingham, Suffolk where he turned one of the rooms of his house into a gallery and devoted his retirement to painting. He illustrated 'A History of Framlingham' by Muriel Kilvert in 1995 but by 2002 had moved to Woodbridge, Suffolk. He married at Lewisham in 1951, Marjorie Jean Stevenson (23 May 1930-2004). Reginald Frank Finbow died at Woodbridge on 16 September 2010, aged 81, and buried at Framlingham, their two adopted children, Louisa and William, pre-deceased him.

Works by This Artist