HANBURY, Gertrude Emily Bateman

1860 - 1927

Gertrude Bateman-Hanbury, Lady Wood

Gertrude Emily Bateman Hanbury, was born at Brook Street, London in 1860, and baptised at Kelmarsh, Northampton on 26 February 1861, third daughter of William Bateman Bateman-Hanbury, 2nd Baron Bateman (28 July 182630 November 1901) and his wife, Agnes Burrell (1831-30 November 1901), third daughter of General Sir Edward Kerrison (30 July 1776-9 March 1853), 1st Baronet of Eye, Suffolk who married at Hastings, Sussex on 15 May 1854. A member of Ipswich Fine Art Club 1887-1894 from Brome Hall, near Eye, Suffolk, exhibiting from Eastcourt, Fonnereau Road, Ipswich in 1886 and 1888 four items of sculpture, metalwork and leatherwork and 1891-1894 her address is given as 74 Cornwell Road, Westbourne Park, London but does not seem to have exhibited again. In 1891, a 30 year old, living at Brome Hall with three of her four brothers and six sisters. She married, as his second wife, at Hoxne Church, near Oakley Park on 11 February 1892, [Sir] John Wood (1857-1951), of Whitfield House, Glossop, Derbyshire, who was created a baronet of Hengrave on 14 February 1918. In 1897 they went to live at Hengrave Hall, Suffolk and she was the first lady Justice of the Peace in Suffolk and during the Great War they gave Hengrave Hall to be used as a hospital with Lady Wood was its Commandant. Gertrude, Lady Wood, died at a Nursing Home at Marylebone, London on 15 March 1927, aged 66 and had two sons, Edmund Walter Hanbury Wood (1899-1947) and Geoffrey Edmund Fitzroy Wood (1900-1901).