BURGESS, George Hastings

1870 - 1944

George Hastings Burgess, was born at Hastings, Sussex on 2 August 1870, son of Samuel Collier Burgess (1827-1908), a master draper & grocer, and his wife Mary Ann née Pollard, who married at Brighton, Sussex in 1854. In 1871, 8 month old George was living at Crawley Street, Crawley, Sussex with his parents, 43 year old Samuel and 36 year old Mary Ann and six siblings, James E. 14, Lucy Kate 11, Emily Mary 8, Caroline H. 6, Walter H. 3 and Harry E. 2, who were all born at Hastings. George studied to be an architect and came to Ipswich in 1890, lodging at 28 Museum Street, a 20 year architect's assistant to Brightwen Binyon and on Binyon's retirement in 1897, went into partnership with Frank Brown and they acquired Binyon's practice. In 1901, a 30 year old architect, lodging at 85 London Road, Ipswich, the home of 53 year old architect Arthur Field and his family, which included Arthur Welburn Field (1883-1964) who eventually took over Burgess's practice. A member of the Ipswich Art Club 1923-1944 exhibiting in 1932 from 9 Arcade Street, Ipswich 'Ipswich from Vermont Crescent' and 'Pin Mill Hard' and in 1937 exhibited from 52 Tuddenham Road, Ipswich two watercolours 'Willows near Claydon' and 'Sandy Point, Iken Cliff'. In 1939, an architect living at 52 Tuddenham Road, Ipswich and exhibited a futher two works at the Ipswich Art Club in 1941 'Elms at Sproughton' and 'Lime Kiln Lane, Claydon' and in 1943 three more 'Guildford Road, Horsham', 'Water Meadows above Chantry Lock' and 'The Gipping, near Claydon'. George Hastings Burgess died at 52 Tuddenham Road, Ipswich om 30 July 1944, aged 73, he was unmarried.