TURNER, Philip John

1876 - 1943

Philip John Turner

Philip John Turner, was born at Stowmarket, Suffolk in 1876 and baptised at St Peter & St Mary Church, Stowmarket on 18 June 1876, son of William Turner (1846-27 August 1934), a Stowmarket draper, and his wife Emily Mary née Ranshaw (1849-22 April 1934), who married at Louth St James, Lincolnshire on 23 August 1870. In 1881, Philip was a 5 year old, living at Ipswich Road, Stowmarket with his parents, 34 year old William and 31 year old Emily, with five siblings, Agnes Emily 9, Ethel Mary 8, Herbert William 6, Ernest Charles 2 and newly born Lillian Beecham, and they retained five indoor staff including a governess, they had one further daughter Marjorie Ranshaw, born 1888. Philip was educated at Framlingham College 1889-1892, where he won the Wallace prize for drawing and studied at the Ipswich School of Science and Art and was articled to Ipswich architect John Shewell Corder [q.v.] and continued his studies at the Architectural Association, London being elected ARIBA in 1901 and FRIBA in 1907. Philip commenced a practice at Parliament Mansions, Victoria Street, Westminster, London in 1900 and in 1904 was at 1 Vincent Square but also practised at Stowmarket. His Suffolk designs include a printing works for H. W. Parker at 24 Fore Street, Ipswich and reconstruction of a shop for H. Wyncoll at 65 St Matthew's Street, Ipswich, both 1904 and the Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich has a drawing (FB211/E3/5) for a chancel screen for St Mary's Church, Wetherden 1908. In 1908 he exhibited at the Royal Academy from Stowmarket, the year that he emigrated to Montreal, Canada. In June 1910, he married at Montreal, Adeline Susanna Peddar (2 February 1878-9 August 1970) of Stowmarket, daughter of Philip Charles Napier Peddar, a farmer at Wetherden, Suffolk, Adeline departed from Liverpool on the SS Lake Champlain for Montreal on 25 May arriving on 16 June 1910. Phillip was in partnership with William Edward Carless (2 December 1881-24 April 1949) 1913-1915 at 45 Beaver Hall Hill, Montreal and Philip was a member of the staff of McGill University from 1908 until 1941. Professor of Building Construction and Professional Practice, Director of the School of Architecture and special lecturer on Library Planning & Equipment and amongst his work in Canada are several banks and St Philip’s church, Montreal West. The author of 'Library Buildings, Their Planning and Equipment' (1929). Philip John Turner died at Montreal on 13 August 1943 and his widow died at 1221 Guy Street, Montreal, Quebec on 9 August 1970.