1857 - ?

The Goupil Gallery was opened in 1857 as the London branch of the French print publishing firm of Goupil & Co. In the early years, the space was primarily a print shop, and gradually expanded the business to include paintings and drawings. With the move to 25 Bedford Street in 1875, the firm began holding regular exhibitions of European paintings and watercolours. It moved to 116-117 New Bond Street (1883-1893) and was at 5 Regent Street (1893-1931). In the late nineteenth century, the gallery exhibited the work of James McNeill Whistler, Charles Conder, and Philip Wilson Steer, and the Barbizon school painters. It was managed by Charles Obach for a short time then David Croal Thomson (1855-1930) and for many years by William Marchant (1868-1925) who had been educated in France and worked in the companies Paris office in the 1890s and he took Goupil over as his own company. In 1914 the inaugural exhibition of the then newly established London Group was held the Gallery. The Gallery was destroyed by enemy bombing in during the Second World War.