1906 - ?

Edinburgh College of Art was set up in 1906 by merging the Royal Institution School and the School of Applied Art and was given authorisation from the Scottish Education Department to award Diplomas in Drawing and Painting, Design and Crafts, and Sculpture and Architecture but can trace their history back to the Trustees’ Academy founded in the 1760s. Around 1911, the task of the artistic education of the students fell solely on the College with the Royal Scottish Academy taking a back seat. By the year 2000, it was one of the largest art colleges in Europe with some 2,000 students. The main building at Lauriston Place was designed by architects John More Dick Peddie (1853-1921) and George Washington Browne (1854-1939) between 1906 and 1909. Since 1968, the Schools of Art and Design became a faculty of Heriot-Watt University, with all its courses leading to full degree awards. Famous alumni include Dame Elizabeth Blackadder, William Gillies, Sir Robin Philipson, Sir Eduardo Paolozzi, Anne Redpath, John Bellany, William Crozier, John Maxwell and William Gear.
Website: https://www.eca.ed.ac.uk