BARNES, Frederick

1814 - 1898

Frederick Barnes, was born at Hackney in London in 1814 and educated at Christ’s Hospital School where his father was master. Articled to architect Sydney Smirke (1798-1877) working in London, and then worked in Liverpool for several years before coming to Ipswich in 1843, to assist his friend John Medland Clark (1813-1849) on the new Custom House building. Frederick married at Lewisham in 1846, Caroline née Betts (1821-1888) and in 1850 opened his own practice from 13 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich where he lived with his Epsom born wife and a servant. One of his first commissions was for Charles Stewart for Thurleston Lodge in Henley Road, Ipswich which was built in 1851/2. He exhibited three architectural painting at the Royal Academy 1848-1854 and exhibited paintings at Needham Market Fine Art & Industrial Exhibition at the Town Hall on 11 July 1867. In 1871 an architect still at 13 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich with his wife and two servants but later moved his office to Hatton Court and in 1888 had one of the largest architect practices in the town, his most notable buildings were the railway stations which he designed for the Great Eastern Railway in a Tudor Gothic style, the best of which survive are at Needham Market, Stowmarket and Bury St Edmund's. Less successfully, he was the architect of the church of St Andrew at Melton on the outskirts of Woodbridge, but he was also responsible for many church restorations. Frederick and Susannah lived at Mill Hill, a large house at 61 Anglesea Road in Ipswich. He died at Ipswich on 6 December 1898, aged 84 and buried in Ipswich Cemetery three days later and almost certainly, designed his gravestone himself, he does not appear to have had any issue.

Works by This Artist