SUFFOLK ART AND AID ASSOCIATION

1907 - 1913

The Suffolk Art and Aid Association 'for the encouragement and improvement of arts and industry in the county [Suffolk]' was founded by Hon. Mrs. William (Charlotte Alice) Lowther (1829-1908) in January 1907, being promoted by Revd Edmund Farrer (1848-1935) with HSH Princess Louise Augusta of Schleswig-Holstein (1872-1956) as its first patron. Mrs Lowther was succeeded by her daughter Miss Lowther. At the first exhibition at Aldeburgh the first day was opened by Prince Frederick Duleep Singh and the second day by the Dowager Countess of Guilford. The organising committee distributed donations to needy charities in the county. There was no exhibition in 1911 and it seems to have ceased after the 1913 exhibition, probably due to the outbreak of the Great War in 1914. Suffolk Art and Aid Association

1. Jubilee Hall, Aldeburgh 21-22 August 1907 opened by Prince Frederick Duleep Singh
2. Felixstowe 8-10 June 1908 opened by HSH Princess Louise Augusta of Schleswig-Holstein
3. Athenaeum, Bury St Edmund's 27-30 October 1908 opened by the Marchioness of Bristol
4. Public Hall, Lowestoft 20-21 October 1909 opened by Sir Frederick Adair
5. Drill Hall, Sudbury 9-10 November 1910 opened by Miss Bertha Barnardiston
6. Rifle Hall and Court House, Halesworth 10-11 July 1912 opened by Lady Eden
7. Town Hall, Eye 6-8 August 1913 opened by the Marchioness of Bristol

Suffolk Artist who exhibited at Bury St Edmund's in 1908 on which further information is required are:-
Miss W. Cook, Great Livermere - oil painting
Mrs L. M. Parker, Mildenhall - watercolour
Miss Rogers, Longton House, Bury St Edmund's - watercolour and a charcoal
Miss E. Raynbird, Fornham All Saints - charcoal
Miss E. Rowlands, Southwold - miniature
Mr A. Thurston, Bury St Edmund's - drawing for reproduction