1879 - ?

The Bury St Edmund's Fine Art Society was established in 1879 and held its first exhibition of over two hundred works at Mr Clarke's Photographic Rooms, Angel Hill, Bury St Edmund's on 21 June 1880 when Frederick Machell Smith (1830-1905), a banker & wine shipper, was hon. secretary and founder, holding its second exhibition at the same venue on 14 September 1881 and its third in September 1882 when the title was Bury St Edmund's and West Suffolk Fine Art Society. The fifth exhibition opened at the Town Hall, Bury St Edmund's on 1 September 1884 and an unnumbered 'annual' exhibition at the Town Hall on 30 September 1885, the 14 September 1886, 7 September 1887, but nothing is noted in 1888 but in 1889 the Society had been renamed Bury & West Suffolk Fine Art Society with their exhibitions still at the Town Hall, but nothing later has been noted. The demise of this Society has yet to be uncovered.

Exhibiting artists need further information
Miss H. Bevan, Plumpton (1882)
Miss Prideaux Brune (1887) 'After the Storm'
Mrs Fish, Hardwick (1882)
Miss Harris, Mildenhall (1882)
Miss Last, Bury (1882)
Miss Martin, Newmarket (1882)
H. Martin (1882) an oil 'London Bridge' highly commended
Miss Mongredien (1877) 'Tramps'
A. Orsini (1882) an oil 'Poldo' highly commended
Miss M. Plumpton, Bury (1882)
Mr Semer (1882)
Miss Short, Bury (1882)
Miss Singleton, Bury (1882)
Mr Machell Smith (1882)
Miss Sorsbie, Clare (1882) at least 3 Sorsbie daughters of the vicar of Clare
Mr E. Sparke, Bury (1882)
Mr W. Warren (1887) 'Silver and Gold'
J. Whiting (1882)
Miss A. Wodehouse, Bury (1882)