KING, Emily

1835 - 1918

Emily King, was born at Ipswich on 17 September and baptised at St Mary le Tower Church on 18 October 1835, daughter of John King (1807-1867), proprietor of the 'Suffolk Chronicle', and his wife Charlotte née Ridley, who married at St Matthew’s Church, Ipswich on 6 December 1833, she was the brother of Spencer and Walter John King, printers. A member of the Ipswich Fine Art Club 1875-1888 and in 1881 exhibited a watercolour from Berners Street, Ipswich, ‘Ruins at Strathaven’ and the following year exhibited from 16 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich 'Penally, near Tenby, Wales' and in 1883 three watercolours 'Entrance to Ipswich from Tuddenham Road', 'Old Hall' and 'The Pathway to the Church'. Her mother died on 29 March 1887, when ‘living on own means’ was lodging at 8 Gipping House, Burrell Road, Ipswich and in 1901, a visitor at ‘Haysleigh’, Felixstowe, the home of widow Emma Chandler. Emily died in 1918, aged 83, she was unmarried.