SCOTT, Ernest Cecil

1904 - 1975

Ernest Cecil Scott was born at 41 Guildhall Street, Bury St Edmund's, Suffolk on 3 February 1904, eldest child of Ernest Frederick Scott (2 October 1881-10 June 1938),a cycle mechanic, and his wife Lillie Jane née McMinnies (4 August 1878-9 November 1954), who married at Bury St Edmund's in 1902. As Cecil Scott, in 1911 a 7-year-old, living at Guildhall Street, Bury St Edmund's with his parents, 28-year-old Ernest and 32-year-old Lillie, with three siblings, Albert 5, Pansy 2 and newly born Leonard. As E. Cecil Scott, he exhibited at the Ipswich Fine Art Club in 1923, 'A Lane in Norwich' and 'Study of a Girl's Head' and in 1954 he exhibited at the Bury St Edmund's Art Society held at the Bury St Edmund's School of Art buildings, a watercolour 'Spring at Cotton Lane' he also exhibited at the Royal Academy. A partner in Scott and Johnson Architects of Cornhill, Bury St Edmund's who designed the new Hawstead House, near Bury St Edmund's in 1939. In 1939, an unmarried architect, living at 8 Highbury Crescent, Bury St Edmund's with his widowed mother Lillie and two others. Ernest Cecil Scott died at Cowper's Close, Cotton, Bury St Edmund's on 16 February 1975, he was unmarried. He has also had attributed to him a picture of 'Parham Old Hall, near Framlingham' currently housed in the Lanman Museum in Framlingham Castle, Suffolk but is noted as by Charles Hamilton Scott.

Royal Academy Exhibits
from 5 Virgo Street, West London
1929 789 Sackville Street, W. - watercolour
from Cowper's Close, Cotton Lane, Bury St Edmund's
1959 980 Open Country near Thetford - watercolour
from 84 Guildhall Street, Bury St Edmund's
1963 1186 Restoration of Theatre Royal, Bury St Edmund's - architectural drawing